Friday, February 5, 2016

Bonus Post: Day of Silent Solidarity

On January 18-22, our school celebrated Respect Life Week. Our focus on the Dignity and Value of Human Life fell on the week when we celebrate civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr., as well as the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion. Our week honored these moments as well as focusing more broadly on all those people who are marginalized in our society. Our daily prayer centered on different marginalized people, and our central activity during the week was our Day of Silent Solidarity.



For one day, students were invited to be voiceless in solidarity with all those whose voices are not heard, whose voices are ignored, and who cannot speak for themselves. From class discussions to hallway passing periods to lunchtime, over 75 students opted to try silence for the day. Here are some reflections from some students in our class. Their reflections are shared in alphabetical order...

Brittany Bejabeng

I personally find myself to be very social, so staying silent for the most part of the day was difficult. This activity focused only on remaining silent and no form of communication was allowed; that’s what made it even harder. My first period and second period went well without talking but once I reached my third period, Consumer Ed, I wanted to give up because we were having a class discussion and there was a topic I wanted to defend, but I couldn’t voice my opinion so that was frustrating. Doing this activity did help me to appreciate and understand the situation of marginalized people, because their voices are silenced while we get to speak. This day of solidarity impacted me personally to appreciate the capabilities I possess and stay “not silenced”. After doing this activity I would definitely recommend others to participate in Silent Solidarity Day, because it is important for us to recognize the people that are marginalized in society and how they are neglected. We must learn to appreciate beautiful gifts we so unconsciously take granted.

Brittany Camana

Today, I participated in the Silent Solidarity Day. For me personally, it was very hard to remain silent. I often caught myself wanting to answer questions my teachers ask the class. It was unbelievably frustrating not talking because normally I do not answer questions during class, but today I felt like I could answer many questions throughout my classes than ever before but couldn't because I had to remain silent. I do have a greater appreciation for marginalized people, and I feel it is our job (the people with voices) to step up and assist their needs. I do recommend others try participating in Silent Solidarity Day because it allows you to put yourself in the marginalized world and learn to adjust to their ways of not being heard from the people around you.

Matt Ciszek

For me, I found it really hard to stay quiet. I actually slipped up and said a few words on accident. I find myself to be a really opinionated person, and I literally almost always have something to say. So it was really hard not being able to profess how I felt about certain things. This whole experience made me realize a lot. It showed me that I am blessed to be able to proclaim my words and have a voice. It also showed me how hard it is for the people who are unable to have a voice in society and are pushed to become marginalized. I also realized that these people are also forced to stay silent all day long because they have no one to talk to either. A lot of these people are alone and lonely and that also makes them unable to represent themselves. Living on the edge of society must be the hardest struggle, but I guarantee the people who make it out of that slump are the strongest people around, because they are the ones who truly experienced a hardship.


Valentina Cordero

It is very hard to remain silent and to not have a voice. What frustrated me the most of not being to talk was not having the opportunity to participate with group discussion and get my voice across. I never realized how much I participate in class until today because this is what helps me learn more. I felt frustrated not being able to talk in every class. I have a greater appreciation and understanding of the situation of the marginalized. I recommend others to participate in the silent solidarity day.

Sarah Eden

Was it hard to remain silent? This is an understatement, IT WAS VERY DIFFICULT TO REMAIN SILENT. I think it would be significantly easier if people did not jokingly insult me or try to make me to talk, but other than that, fighting off my urges to participate in class was exceptionally difficult. The only time I was frustrated was when I was trying to write down a question I had for calculus, and translating the question to someone else was difficult. I can't do hand signals. I have always had a deep appreciation for those who are marginalized, and my relationship with them has remained the same. This means I still will seek to do more service work opportunities in the future, so I can give back to the community that has provided me with so much. I would recommend people to try it, but it is ultimately their decision whether or not they wish to participate.

Antonio Gonzalez

Participating in the Silent Solidarity Day was more of a struggle than I imagined. It was very difficult trying to put out your thoughts without speaking. Language, as I learned today, is very crucial and should be something that should not be taken advantage of. At points, it was very frustrating, almost to the point where I didn’t know how to convey my opinions and ideas. Being a marginalized person must be even harder since I know that I will be able to talk again. These forgotten people have to deal with this for a long time. I definitely recommend trying this event at least once because it really shows that communication is what keeps everyone together, and that Solidarity is more important that one may think.


Aileen Gonzalez

Today I was to remain silent for the whole day. I thought it would be difficult, but it was actually pleasant. At least for awhile. It was the little things that bothered me. I sneezed at least twice and had people say bless you only to receive dirty looks for not saying thank you. Then there was sitting in class; since I'm very opinionated but to have to sit and stay silent was like having nails driven into my flesh. I was also slightly annoyed with this one joke my friend kept saying, "Stay silent if you think I'm awesome! Stay silent if you're stupid!" People love to mess with you, so perhaps it's the same for others. My friend said it in a joking tone but for some people, it's actually serious. I kept thinking of the mentally challenged today. It's a joke to others, but it's an everyday reality for these people. They've been made fun of in the past, made to look like fools and only able to sit silently everyday without a voice to stand up for themselves. It was a fun experiment to stay silent all day, but it's hard saying what you need or want. I was lucky I had fingers to point at what I wanted for lunch and a very expressive face for how any subject was making me feel but what about others? The deformed or the paralyzed. What about those that become vegetables? They can't express or move. A fun challenge for us, but a sad reality for others. I would recommend to do this again next year, a yearly event of sorts to remind us not everyone can speak. The abused, the mentally challenged, the poor, etc, need a voice.

Mariam Mekha

First of all, it is very hard to see everyone have the ability to speak but me. Also, it is very challenging to work with a partner on homework or a project. We just give up, and we have to write it down for each other. The part I was really frustrated with was when I was with my group in AP Bio, and we have to work together. The difficult part was me was trying to think how can I do this or act that in order to solve this problem. I do have more understanding of the situation of marginalized people now. I would recommend this to other people I know, because no matter what you been through, you cannot feel or understand others unless you have been in their shoes.

Bryan Padilla

Initially I thought that to be silent for about six hours of school would be easy; however, I was surprised and found it to be more of a challenge to be silent. I was able to last until fourth period without talking, but then someone sneezed and I, by force of habit, said "bless you." Honestly, I did not feel more understanding of marginalized people. What I did feel however, was a greater appreciation for speech. Without speech, learning becomes a bit more difficult. I also enjoyed the almost meditative silence of the day. Rather than spending my mental energy talking to others, I was able to be more aware of the present. I would recommend people to participate in Silent Solidarity Day.


Melody Quintero

It was a interesting day to remain silent for the majority of the day. It wasn't hard to remain silent until I got to AP English Literature. It was hard to participate in the big group discussion about a Hamlet soliloquy, one of my favorite parts about AP English Literature. I felt out of place without having a chance to say a word. However, my favorite part about the experience was how much my close friends were still able to understand what I wanted to say or do, without saying a word. Overall, I got a better understanding for the situation of marginalized people. If I wasn't able to stand up or speak up for what I wanted to say or believe in, I would become very frustrated. It makes me want to find way to help the situation of marginalized people. I believe it was a great idea to have the silent solidarity day, and I would recommend the experience to everyone and hope the school will make it an annual event.

Stephanie Sefah

When I walked into school that morning, I had the intent to not be be a part of the silent solidarity only because I knew that I wasn't going to be able to do it. However, as the tags were being passed out, I decided to give it a try because I had nothing to lose if I didn't, and I realized that this might be my only chance to participate in this from of solidarity. The first hour of silence wasn't has hard as I thought it would be. I kept myself busy so that I wouldn't feel the need to speak with my friends in class, but I soon learned how difficult it is when you have something important to say but you're not able to say it. I experienced this in Ms. Mocarski's class, as we were having a discussion of what a tragic hero is. In that moment, I realized that it is a horrible feeling when you have something important to say but can't be heard; I felt has if I didn't exist. In the end, I gained a better understanding and a greater appreciation for people who are marginalized. I would definitely recommend this to all my friends and family because I think sometimes we take our voice and the power we have in society for granted. When it comes to voting and writing letters to our government officials, these are things we can do to truly help the marginalized, whose voices are being ignored.

Jada Shelby

I participated in Silent Solidarity Day and it was hard to remain silent. I was really frustrated during second and sixth periods. I was also frustrated during period 4A because we had a head of house meeting with Ms. Fox. During all these times I was frustrated because I wanted to answer so many questions and ask questions, but I couldn't. I was not able to speak my mind, and I really understand the situation of those who are marginalized because of their inability to be heard. The use of words from the mouth is an easier way to get a point across rather than typing or writing. I would recommend Silent Solidarity Day to everyone because it's a really good way to get a better understanding of those who aren't listened to. Everybody needs to learn not to take certain gifts for granted, and I think this could be the first step of doing so.

Note: Minor grammar/style edits have been made to each post not affecting the content or perspective of these students.