Thursday, June 2, 2016

Trip #8: Habitat for Humanity (2015-16, T3)

On Friday, May 27, students from our class traveled to the Pullman neighborhood to work on the Habitat for Humanity houses. Students assisted with painting, cutting, siding installation, and more, under the guidance of the Habitat team. Part of this block of houses is the Pope Francis Home Challenge house - an anonymous donor put up $60,000 and challenged Habitat and Chicago to match the donation with their own fundraising. Check out the status of the challenge here.

Here are some thoughts from Randy Hang, Brahim Fall, and Sylvester Trotter...

A photo posted by St Ben Campus & Youth Ministry (@stbencym) on

Randy Hang

For this week's service, we volunteered to help an organization called Habitat for Humanity. Habitat for Humanity is an organization that builds homes for those with low income and sells them for a price that is affordable for families. Many families around the world suffer from having a low income and with organizations like them helps gives every family around the world a chance to live the same.
To be living in a large city like Chicago, it’s hard to be able to afford a house, especially when you are single. With a flexible payment plan, many families could be able to live the same life just like any other family with a income able to purchase a home. Those who are poor have to worry about where they will be living next if they aren’t able to next month’s rent. Habitat for Humanity helps solve this problem. Families are able to take advantage of the help that Habitat for Humanity is able to provide.

In my theology class, I’ve learned many Catholic Social Teachings. For this service trip, I could tie in Preferential Option for the Poor and Marginalized and Dignity/Value of Human Life. We should all care for each other as if we were brothers and sisters and share what we have. Even if it’s just sharing our time, because through something simply like that we could help everyone to live the same lifestyle. In the Preferential Option for the Poor and Marginalized, Christ calls us to consider the poor and marginalized in every decision we make personally, community, and socially. For Dignity/Value of Human Life, Christ calls us to view and treat all human life as inherently and completely valuable in all forms at all stages of life. 

In order for us all to recognize those who need the help, we need to understand the Catholic teachings. As we understand the teachings, we could then start with giving a hand to the poor and help. Organizations like Habitat for Humanity are a wonderful way to help and enact the teaching that the Church offers.

Brahim Fall

On friday, I went with my Catholic Social Teaching class members to work on a Habitat for Humanity project. We met at school at 7am and used the school bus. A lot of students were missing, and others chose not to go, but that did not stop us from participating in this trip to volunteer for Habitat on the south side of Chicago. When we arrived, we realized that there were some houses that were already finished, and others were still in the process of construction. For example, one of the new houses just needed to be painted.

It was our choice to decide to help on this trip and put hard work and effort into it. It was our decision. Some members of my group chose to work outside, some inside, and others were painting the ceiling and the corners of the walls. Randy and I were working as inside painters with Brittany. We each painted the ceiling with the rollers and white paint. We made sure that we were doing the best job we could because we knew these houses were very important. Randy, Brittany and I made sure to take our time, but to work efficiently to make sure that we got done what we had to do.

After we had been working what seemed like a long time, we took a break around 11:00 am. I was starving, and I hadn’t packed any food because I wasn’t trying to be late on this trip. Luckily one of the people from the Habitat crew got me a nice Chicago Hot dog. I appreciated it very much. Then they explained to us how the houses are fixed up and sold to people who do not earn enough to afford a stable, comfortable, and nice house to live in. Habitat is able to continue this program because of the money that they get from the donations they receive. This allows them to get the proper supplies and necessities to do the work and get it done well.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?” (Matthew 25:34-40). This quote goes really well with our trip because we helped to build homes for people in need. We helped to provide shelter for the less fortunate and it showed us that hard work really does go a long way.

It felt good knowing that my effort of working in these house as a volunteer will help someone to have a clean house, safe home and to have a better life.

Sylvester Trotter

Last week me and my classmates participated in Habitat for Humanity. In Habitat, they go to lower income areas and build affordable homes for people in that area. When we arrived, I immediately felt connected to the neighborhood. I live not that far from the houses we were building and as a child went to church right up the street on 119th. It felt great knowing that I was giving back to this community that gave me so much. I know tons of kids and families that struggle to keep a stable household and pay for it too. Many houses on the south side can either be really nice or horrible. Most of the time they’re not in the best condition. Since it wasn’t a lot of us, we had double the work. Most of the houses had been built, so a good portion of my class wanted to paint.

I somewhat feel implicated in marginalizing these people. This group is pushed to the edge socially since people will not take time of their day to communicate with them; business owners will not allow them into their homes; citizens reject them as they ask for change. However, I believe these people receive much help compared to other groups. For example, Franciscan Outreach gives homeless people in Chicago a place to stay for a night as well as providing for them a nice, warm meal. Similarly, Habitat for Humanity helps low-income persons receive a home with no interest payments. In addition, the government tries to help these people. For example, when my parents were at the verge of losing their homes, they were able to declare bankruptcy, which meant that they could eliminate all or some of their debts such as their house debts, which goes to show that the government tries to help those in need financially. Because of the help homeless people receive, but the way society pushes them off, I am implicated somewhat in marginalizing this group.

Even though I feel as if this group is somewhat marginalized, I still believe that we should help them in every way we can, since Christ asks us to shelter those who are homeless, and he emphasizes helping those in need, which is seen through the story of the rich young man (Mark 10:17-22). We can help those who are homeless by volunteering at a pantry, helping construct a home for those who need it, or by incorporating these people in our lives by talking to them as we approach the train.

After this trip I felt that since I live so close and I’m so impacted by the work Habitat for Humanity has done, that I’ll go help just in my spare time.

Note: Minor grammar/style edits have been made to each post not affecting the content or perspective of these students.