Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Trip #2: Warren Park Healthy & Living Center (2016-17, T2)

On Wednesday, December 14, students from our class went to the Warren Park Health & Living Center. Residents at this community live with different disabilities, including mental and psychological challenges, and some of them are wards of the state. The staff at the center invited residents down to an activities room, and our students spent an hour and a half playing games and conversing with residents. Here are some thoughts from Seyoum Asefa, Tessa Nykaza, and Kezia Danso.

A photo posted by St Ben Campus & Youth Ministry (@stbencym) on

Seyoum Asefa

After taking a short bus ride to the Warren Park Health & Living Center, our class had an enjoyable time with the people living in the center. I had a fun time with a nice lady named Suzanne. She told me she was in her forties and has been living there for a little while but has said she has enjoyed her time. Suzanne also mentions her education - finishing her Bachelor's degree at Columbia College. She was journalism major and had a hard time finding a job in that field because of the decrease in the newspaper industry. She didn’t necessarily tell me why she was at the living center, but I did notice she had a somewhat hard time talking. (Editor's Note: Residents are asked not to share that information, and our students are encouraged to limit their conversations to small-talk and general discussions.)

The Warren Park Health & Living Center is a treatment facility to help adults with a variety of medical conditions associated with aging, injury, and psychological health, and while I was there, it wasn’t necessarily easy to notice any of those things. I talked to a good amount of people who didn’t seem like they had any problems, but they probably did. I certainly enjoyed my time there because of the great personalities of the people there. When Stefani and I were playing the card game “War,” there was a time where I continued to win and Suzanne complimented my enthusiasm and wished she could be like that. She also compared me to one of the security guards at the center saying, “Both of you guys are alike. You both have a great amount of energy and are both full of joy. I always wanted to be like that… I admire how you act. I can definitely tell you have a bright future ahead of you.” After Suzanne told me that, I had a little hope in my life to strive for greatness. Despite people having some issues with their mental and physical nature, they are all wonderful people. I truly loved my experience having fun with the people at the Warren Park Health and Living Center.

“We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, ‘“I love God,’” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.” (1 John 4:19-20) As I was going to the living center, I was a bit skeptical of the area because, usually, I don’t enjoy my time there. I don’t tend to help others because growing up I didn’t have all that help with me so why should I help others. Visiting the people at the living center opened my eyes completely. I guess I was known as a liar because I didn’t help others and I’m hating my brother. I always thought helping people meant giving stuff for people but, finally, I got through my head that just having a nice conversation would help and even make the day of a person.

After going on the trip, I felt exceptionally happy that I made Suzanne’s day. She told Stefani and me that we were a delight to have, and it certainly made my day. I didn’t have an open mind going and didn’t during the first few minutes I was there, but later I certainly had a great time there. It was definitely an eye-opening experience for me. I don’t know if I would put their people in a marginalized category because they are cared for on an everyday basis. I would think some of the people don’t have the family to talk to since they don’t talk to them or associate with anymore, but I am having a hard time even thinking they are in a marginalized.

Living in this center for people with mental or physical issues, we should hope for those people to receive the help they might need. In my opinion, I believe just talking to them is the best form of medicine. I don’t know if they have any visitors visiting them on the regular but I believe that would be the best thing for them. Anyone can help because it is easy to give your time for others no matter what is going on in your life. There are a lot of people in the world who have much more problems than you may have and helping others can give you a bit of joy and happiness.

A photo posted by St Ben Campus & Youth Ministry (@stbencym) on

Tessa Nykaza

On December 14, our class went to Warren Park Health & Living Center, where we spent time with developmentally disabled people. We were able to sit down with them and keep these people, who lived in Warren Park, company. Felixia, Emily, and I formed a group and stayed together for much of the excursion. We played Uno with this lovely lady named Dorothy. Our class was able to see how people with developmentally disabled issues lives. Some people had families, but unfortunately for others, they did not get many visits. It was nice to be able to spend time with them because they seemed very excited to get to spend time with our class, but because of these mental/physical disabilities sometimes their families don’t have time to see them or even view them as a burden. This problem is universal and does not just pertain to the United States.

The people with developmental disabilities are somewhat dependent on us to try and help them get the care that they need. In this case, the rich have the money and power to make a change. No one specifically decides to be in these positions, but as far as help, we can all chose to help. People who are developmentally disabled are often excluded for their restrictions of movement or speech. Our culture makes it hard for people like this to succeed, and it is harder with physical/mental restrictions. Our influence from community can sometimes make us discriminate towards them because we find fault in their differences.

Instead of what looking at what makes us different, we should focus on ways we are alike. This bible verse provides us with a valuable lesson about how we should treat marginalized groups (Luke 14: 12-13): He said also to the man who had invited him, “When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind."

This bible verse shows us that we should treat all people with as much as care as we would our family. Our outing was a good example of how we should spend some time with them and think about what we can do to help them. This situation opens my eyes to the untapped potential we have to help them and make a change to the negligence we showed towards this situation. Personally I have not never been in a similar situation nor have I been exposed to anybody closely related to me in a similar position of developmental disablement. My lack of knowledge about the subject and the need for help these people need shows how much awareness that is yet to be spread. It can start as simply as sympathy that can be extended towards this group. Christ would expect to share our time with these people to treat them as real people and not view their disablement as a difference that sets us apart.

A photo posted by St Ben Campus & Youth Ministry (@stbencym) on

Kezia Danso

On December 14, 2016, our class took a trip to Warren Park Health & Living Center. At this facility each student got the chance to hangout with members of the center. Many of us played games with the residents; some spoke to the residents; and others simply listened and easily became a huge support for members of the center. In my group, I was given the chance to play games with my classmates as well as five residents of the facility. When we first walked into the room, it was evident that many of my classmates as well as myself were hesitant to start conversations or did not know to interact. After a while, it all became natural and did not feel like I was on a class field trip. During this trip, I realized people of disabilities are placed in certain categories. Those people are then marginalized because of things they cannot control, which is not right. When playing games with the residents at Warren Park, I learned something from them. I did not know how to play Uno or any of the other card games that we played; however, after I learned it became very enjoyable very quickly.

In our society, there is a constant mentality that those of disabilities, whether it be physical or mental, cannot do the same things as “normal” people. Placing individuals in certain categories who do not have the same things we have is totally unacceptable. The cycle of labeling individuals is where the problem lies. If we can see others for who they are despite the things they do and do not have, then I truly believe the world would be a better place.

This situation reminds me of how Jesus always acted amongst the poor. There were many situations where Jesus included the outcasts. For example, in the story when Jesus was at the temple, he said, “My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations.” (Matthew 21:13) Throughout Jesus’ life he aimed to include those who were the outcasts, whether it was the poor, murders, etc. This story teaches me that we should not think highly of ourselves but rather view each other equally. God says we our each other’s brother’s and sister’s keepers. This activity reminds of the Catholic Social Teaching, Solidarity. This theme calls us to love and be mindful of everyone as our brother and sister. No matter how different we all maybe we are still each other's keeper.

My faith calls me to love everyone as Jesus loved us. I believe that it is extremely to important treat everyone the same. Although, I am guilty of not including others all the time, this trip really opened my eyes. I learned that at the end of the day, we are all human, and we do need each other. I also learned that in order to help someone, that does not necessarily mean one has to donate money; however, giving my time is all that isI needed. In order to bridge the gap between society and reality we must put our pride aside and be mindful that not everyone has the things we have. Also as a society we must eliminate that mindset that those who are disabled can not do the same things as what society views as the norm. Moving forward, I am going to make it a goal to give everyone a chance. I do not want to judge other because of their disabilities or come to conclusions without any knowledge. We are all human and children of God; therefore, we are each other’s keepers. We must empower one another not tear each other down.

Note: Minor grammar/style edits have been made to each post not affecting the content or perspective of these students.

A photo posted by St Ben Campus & Youth Ministry (@stbencym) on